Thread: Replacing Nokia 6230i Antenna (Please Help)

Bullets7 is offline Registered User

Replacing Nokia 6230i Antenna (Please Help)

I recently dropped my phone on the floor and shortly after that I quit getting a signal, but everything else is functioning properly. I assume it is the antenna that is causing the problem so I purchased a new one to replace in the phone.

My question to the experts on this forum is how difficult would it be to replace? Is it just simply unscrewing the old one and putting the new one in? I have no experience at this and don't want to ruin my phone, but I also don't want to wait a month to ship it off.

Is it worth attempting to replace it myself and is the any tips on what I might need to look out for?

Thanks in advance-

adampeake is offline Registered User
    Try here for dismantle instructions. Easy job but I would be suprised if it is just the antenna that is broken. Maybe contacts have moved but more likely the PCB itself.

http://www.uselessinfo.pwp.blueyonde...mantle6230.htm

How would I go about repairing the contacts or the PCB? I'm not even sure what either one is.

Quote Originally Posted by adampeake
    Try here for dismantle instructions. Easy job but I would be suprised if it is just the antenna that is broken. Maybe contacts have moved but more likely the PCB itself.

http://www.uselessinfo.pwp.blueyonde...mantle6230.htm

Hi,

If its not just a case of the antenna housing has moved or become unclipped then something will have been broken when dropped. Sadly the Nokia 6230 and 6230i are very fragile and dont stand up to knocks very well.

If the PCB is damaged then it could possibly be repaired by reflowing (heating the solder to resettle the components in the PCB) but this isn't really a DIY job.

As you have purchased a new antenna try it but if that doesn't work seek professional help. Any good shop or Nokia service centre could help.

Adam

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by adampeake
    Hi,

If its not just a case of the antenna housing has moved or become unclipped then something will have been broken when dropped. Sadly the Nokia 6230 and 6230i are very fragile and dont stand up to knocks very well.

If the PCB is damaged then it could possibly be repaired by reflowing (heating the solder to resettle the components in the PCB) but this isn't really a DIY job.

As you have purchased a new antenna try it but if that doesn't work seek professional help. Any good shop or Nokia service centre could help.

Adam

Just one other point to consider. No signal is also a classic sign that the handset could be blocked. If there is now way that this could be true then discount. But if purchased second hand or reported lost/stolen etc then a possibility.

Adam

Thread Information