Thread: Nokia 6600 Mrouter crippled, GPRS only!

JohnMirra is offline Registered User

Exclamation Nokia 6600 Mrouter crippled, GPRS only!

Someone tell me this isn't true....
    (copy from another phone message board)

nokia 6600 mrouter crippled, GPRS ONLY!
    Dear Nokia,

Why have you crippled the mrouter on the 6600?

With the 3650/7650 once you have a mrouter connection, you are able to browse the internet with it. If you do the same in the 6600 it will ask you to use GPRS. Why is this superior faster tcp/ip access method disabled in the 6600? It makes it extremely difficulty to develop wireless enterprise apps if it forces them to use the extremely slow and expensive gprs option.

Nokia this is un-acceptable to us developers. How are we meant to develop on the phone without running up a huge GPRS bill ourselves?

I thought symbian was an "open" system, apparently not. Seems like the carriers and Nokia are in bed together to prevent us from creating useful apps that would like to use tcp/ip over bluetooth or IR.

Also the MRouter way of connecting and establishing a connection was too cubersome, with no automation or multiple phone support at all. It also seems it is impossible to create a bluetooth PAN profile support module, and now with this latest move by nokia to disable mrouter, I don't think they will ever create a PAN support.

Nokia the 6600 is an excellcent device, apart from the disabling of the mrouter. It has potential to be anything, but with the GPRS network option only, it is severly crippled. Bluetooth PAN support will open the market up for a whole lot of symbian applications.

Nokia I request (tho I know it will fall on deaf ears), that you reenable the internet access via bluetooth or IR for the 6600, and that you also develop the bluetooth PAN profile for easy networking. You can't expect a company who wants to use these phone to wireless enable their workforce to use GPRS all the time.

Creating a bluetooth PAN profile for symbian would let you use your 6600 now as a laptop uses wifi. Bluetooth hotspots can spring up and people would find they can do alot of what they need on the 6600. Nokia, please don't shoot yourselves in the foot just cause the carriers want to make more money, you should enable more network options on the 6600, which will sell more phones.

had my little rant, very dissapointed
    dalore

wikoleung is offline Registered User

Unhappy no internet sharing via BT in 6600

If I knew that this feature is disabled by Nokia, I'll not choose to buy this downgraded 6600.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMirra
    Someone tell me this isn't true....
    (copy from another phone message board)

nokia 6600 mrouter crippled, GPRS ONLY!
    Dear Nokia,

Why have you crippled the mrouter on the 6600?

With the 3650/7650 once you have a mrouter connection, you are able to browse the internet with it. If you do the same in the 6600 it will ask you to use GPRS. Why is this superior faster tcp/ip access method disabled in the 6600? It makes it extremely difficulty to develop wireless enterprise apps if it forces them to use the extremely slow and expensive gprs option.

Nokia this is un-acceptable to us developers. How are we meant to develop on the phone without running up a huge GPRS bill ourselves?

I thought symbian was an "open" system, apparently not. Seems like the carriers and Nokia are in bed together to prevent us from creating useful apps that would like to use tcp/ip over bluetooth or IR.

Also the MRouter way of connecting and establishing a connection was too cubersome, with no automation or multiple phone support at all. It also seems it is impossible to create a bluetooth PAN profile support module, and now with this latest move by nokia to disable mrouter, I don't think they will ever create a PAN support.

Nokia the 6600 is an excellcent device, apart from the disabling of the mrouter. It has potential to be anything, but with the GPRS network option only, it is severly crippled. Bluetooth PAN support will open the market up for a whole lot of symbian applications.

Nokia I request (tho I know it will fall on deaf ears), that you reenable the internet access via bluetooth or IR for the 6600, and that you also develop the bluetooth PAN profile for easy networking. You can't expect a company who wants to use these phone to wireless enable their workforce to use GPRS all the time.

Creating a bluetooth PAN profile for symbian would let you use your 6600 now as a laptop uses wifi. Bluetooth hotspots can spring up and people would find they can do alot of what they need on the 6600. Nokia, please don't shoot yourselves in the foot just cause the carriers want to make more money, you should enable more network options on the 6600, which will sell more phones.

had my little rant, very dissapointed
    dalore

carl_rocha is offline Registered User
    Hi!
    I only want to use the nokia 6600 to "talk IP" with a linux machine. Can i do it without the mrouter "tripping out"? Can anyone help me. Pleaaaaaaaaaaaase.

Iceman5 is offline Registered User
    oh man! i sure hope they listens to this guy and make it support bt internet again

prolly not tho.........

kaboodlePT is offline Registered User

I can ping Nokia 6600 for as long as I want

Hello everyone.

To those who tould me that Nokia 6600 couldnt have IP conectivity over BT. I can ping the phone for as long as I want. The only prob is that only works sometimes and I donno why! But when it works it really works! I hope I can figure this out and then access the web from my phone->IP->BT->IP->PC->NET

Rui

kaboodlePT is offline Registered User

can't send info over BT

Hello.

I'm trying to connect to port 21 of my linux pc and send "user <username>" to see if my ftp server replies back to my phone (Nokia 6600). I can ping my phone from the PC and i see that the phone has added a BT interface (ipcp::btcomm::0) and routing entries to the routing table but when I try to connect port 21 of my PC the phone always asks for a access point! Shouldn't the phone check the routing tables for a entry before prompting for an access point?

Resuming:

I WANT to send any commands to my PC by IP over bluetooth and read a reply.
    I CAN ping my phone.
    I CAN add routing entries.
    The phone always asks for an access point even though the BT interface is UP.

What do I need to do to get things going? Please answer!

Thanks to everyone.

Rui (rui_botelho@hotmail.com)

a_dude is offline Registered User
    guys to get more into the probs have a look at this program 'IP View'

here is the link,
    http://my-symbian.com/7650/applicati...Auto=416&faq=2

it will give u a bit of info on the networkings of the phone...

cheers

scicr002 is offline Registered User

Bluetooth Access Point

Same here. If I knew about this disability I would never have chosen the Nokia 6600. I shall also do my utmost to distribute this remarkable disfuntionality amongst my colleagues.

Thread Information