Thread: Nokia 6600 - "Select Access Point" Problem

davidmc555 is offline Registered User

Nokia 6600 - "Select Access Point" Problem

I hope someone can help me with a problem I'm having.

Not so long ago, I got a Nokia 6600 from a mate who himself upgraded to a 6630. The phone was on Orange UK so I had it unlocked to use an O2 UK genie PAYG sim. The unlock worked fine and it accepted the new sim ok. However, I kept getting a menu popping up every minute or so like so...

"Select Access Point:
    ---------------------
    O2 GPRS WAP
    O2 MMS"

And the 2 main buttons have 'Select' and 'Cancel' still displayed. I initially thought it was to do with the Orange UK connection setting still on the phone so I deleted them and got the O2 ones. No good, the menu still pops up. I tried with my old Orange PAYG sim and it happens with that which makes me think it's a phone setting.

I've been through the settings and no matter what I select it doesn't seem to stop it. I've removed any apps that were put on by my mate ("Sensible soccer" and other stuff that wasn't working) but there is stuff like Orange Update that can't be removed and I'm wondering if this is what's causing it.

I've contacted O2 and Nokia and to be honest, my cat could have provide better customer care. Anybody had this problem or know how to get rid of it?

Many thanks.

Rosswelton12 is offline Registered User
    i had same problem mate what it is is that 02 dnt have a 3g service so your phone is trying to find it so turn off you dual mode in settings and change back to GSM

OMENs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosswelton12
    i had same problem mate what it is is that 02 dnt have a 3g service so your phone is trying to find it so turn off you dual mode in settings and change back to GSM
    He is talking about a Nokia 6600 which doesnt have 3G, only GSM

Forhike is offline Registered User
    hehe nice =)

If you're referring to where I think you are (Going into Active connections and edit:, then changing databearers from GPRS to GSM), changing that declares the message "Incomplete details. Dial-up number must be defined. Delete access point?" I don't want to delete these settings as I need them for multimedia messaging and WAP.

As for O2 not having a GPRS network, I find that unlikely as it was them I got the setting from.

Anyone offer any more help?

LuKeY is offline Registered User
    I had the same problem with 2 of these "Orange" 6600 phones. The solution is simple. You need to format the phone. You do this by turning the phone off, and then holding down the Green button, the number 3 key and the * key. Whilst keeping these buttons held down, switch the phone on. If you've done it right, then the phone will startup and within a minute or so, show "Formatting" on the screen. (when you see the formatting screen you can let go of the buttons.) It may take you a few attempts to get it to format, as holding down those three keys is hard work. Also be aware that this will completely reset your phone.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by LuKeY
    I had the same problem with 2 of these "Orange" 6600 phones. The solution is simple. You need to format the phone. You do this by turning the phone off, and then holding down the Green button, the number 3 key and the * key. Whilst keeping these buttons held down, switch the phone on. If you've done it right, then the phone will startup and within a minute or so, show "Formatting" on the screen. (when you see the formatting screen you can let go of the buttons.) It may take you a few attempts to get it to format, as holding down those three keys is hard work. Also be aware that this will completely reset your phone.
    Cheers for the info Lukey. You'll have to forgive me but formating sounds quite dangerous. Still if it genuinely wipes the phone and restores it then, I have no problems. Before I do so, could you tell me what I'd need to set up on the phone? I'm just concerned it may revert back to it original Orange settings and lock out my O2 sim. Cheers again.

squidgy45 is offline Registered User
    If you havent already done it - you can backup your phone to the memory card by menu->extras->memory->options->backup phone memory. That way all your sms, pics, ringtones etc are saved to your mem card. Then do the format - it is perfectly safe as long as you have a good charge in your battery.

The problem is that your phone is still trying to 'find' the orange network, somewhere in your settings it is still active. If you visit the o2 website, go to o2 active and get settings - send the settings and make them active and it should cure the problem. I recently had my orange contract service restricted and cos my 6600 couldnt connect to the network it drove me bonkers with the same as you are getting - i had to use another phone in the end. Good luck, Steve

Mr Material is offline Registered User
    Don't know if the PAYG is the same as the contract but I'm on the Genie contract (£10 a month) and they won't turn on the gprs on it as they want me off the contract (not likely).

You'll have to use the GSM settings if that's the case.

http://www.filesaveas.com/6600wap.html

Think that's the place I got mine from. I have unlimited wap so it's real handy, in fact I used to tonight for 40 mins in the pub quiz haha..

LuKeY is offline Registered User
    Once the phone is formatted, it will have reverted back to all the Orange settings (IE Orange Internet etc). You need to delete these settings and then go on the o2 site (www.o2.co.uk) and click wap - get settings. You can then pick the settings you require and they will send them in a text message to your phone. I will guarantee that you will never see the "set access point" ever again.

As mentioned above, back all your piccies and custom tones up onto your memory card in order to keep them.

Oh and as also mentioned make sure your phone has a good charge on it before formatting it, as about the only thing that will cause a problem is if the battery dies half way through the format (which takes a couple of minutes). It's perfectly safe other than that.

Oh yes, and don't worry about the sim lock resetting, it won't (It will still accpet your o2 card)
    Last edited by LuKeY; 17-03-2005 at 05:43 PM.

Thread Information