Thread: 8310 dead after cable conect..can you help??

Exclamation 8310 dead after cable conect..can you help??

Hi all, recently I posted describing a problem with conecting a data cable to my 8310 and it fried it (without even plugging into PC) It wouldn't boot up after that.
    Davie B even had the same problem. Have you got your phone fixed now Davie B?
    Anyway, sent it away to Nokia to get fixed.
    Well I picked it up today all fixed under Nokia Warranty.

They werent all that helpful with a reason why the data cable fried the phone but the technician did say that there aren't any proper data cables out there for 8310's and the wiring and contacts could not be correct.
    Also said that the software in the phones could be written in such a way that it shuts the phone down if the phone is messed up with a dodgy cable or the software can be written badly.

So are we any closer to a reason why some 8310 phones do this?
    If there is someone out there using a data cable on an 8310 with no problems, praps you could post on here where you got your cable so others can get proper cables and cut out the dodgy ones.

Thanks all for the help and assistance provided on the other threads.

Well, mine is fixed now..
    Luckily my favoured repair centre gives a full fault report to the customer..
    It appears all they had to do was reflash the phones software - At least it got it upgraded also

They didn't give any idea of why exactly - I dont think they knew... Its probably the first thing they do - reflash the s/w..

I was pretty sure it was some form of TA (tamper alert) - We've seen this in Motorola, Ericsson and others!

The readouts they gave showed no problems after the software was reflashed..
    When it was broken, and still in my possesion, I played with it as much as possible - I couldn't break it much more!
    I got cracked phoenix working - Ran BBSelfTest - They all passed :/
    There wasn't a clear/evident problem..

I even reset full factory a few times with no luck..

I'm actually quite tired, and kinda ill just now (lol) so i'm probably forgetting something - If i think of more I'll post again!

P.s. I bought mine from PNunn (PECComputers) - I emailed them explaining the problem a couple of times, with absolutely no reply.
    I can assure you they were afraid they'd have to pay me for a new phone, or fix mine (If I didn't get free service under warranty - I would have forced this!)

Rgds

What software and were cables from same place??

Curious if you guys both purchased the same cable and what software flash your phones had and what program (other than Flatchat) you were using when you had problems?

So far we've used the data cables on several U.S./Canada version 8390's without any problems.

Maybe it really wasnt even a tamper alert but just buggy OEM software. However since this is one of the first cables that also duplicate the sim connector im sure faulty connections there would cause problems.

Phonedudes

P.S. And has anyone dared try the same data cable again with their Returned, Repaired, Working phone??

phone report

Sorry DavieB, yes I did get a report back. It passed all it's tests and it just says
    ENGINEER REPORT: Software Upgraded, Returned all power levels and Air tested-OK.
    Nothing was replaced in the phone so like you DavieB, just a software flash was needed to fix.

No way Phonedudes. I'm not trying the data cable in it again cos I don't think Nokia will repair it a second time so soon after it coming back. I want to try it again but I/we are not sure exactly why it's happening yet, only that it could be faulty cables.
    And as you say Phonedudes, with the 8310 being such a complex cable adapter (sim intergrated) it does leave alot more room for error in these cables.
    I bought my data cable from "Infinite Realities" which said it was an 8310 cable. When I emailed them about the problem they just sent replies with the tone of someone trying thier best to get out of a sticky situation.
    One of the emails read :

"Maybe the phone has just failed, take it to the place you bought it from and get them to sort it,

It is impossible that the cable could have caused that just by turning the phone on."

Hopefully we can find a source of proven 8310 cables so that we can cut the faulty cable out of the equation.
    Thanks again guys.

OEM Software?! The phone is DCT4 - aside from phoenix and "nice" soft (like logomanager) there are no softwares...

Anyway, never used software, I connected the cable but didn't even start software when my phone died..

It was acting as tho the sim was being removed and instered rapidly - leading me to believe the connector was physically damaged.. - without a sim in it worked fine...

This was not the case - my favoured repair place simply flashed the s/w and that was it fixed..

That why I was thinking TA - setting some sorta "failsafe" bit in ram, stopping it from functioning - like a bad FAiD would...
    Actually, it was similar to a bad FAiD (which is of course, a security error)
    A reflash would have cleared ram...

Oh, that was the other thing i was thinking (now I've woken up....)

Failsafe! I think the cable may have been faulty and possibly sent a voltage into the simadapter or the connectors causing the phone to go into "failsafe" mode...
    I've seen similar things in other electronic devices - and taking into account how similar the problem is to bad FAiD (which is a security subsystem/component) I think its a possiblity!

Well, we know for sure it's not physical damage - and a reflash fixes it (remember, a reflash will not only rewrite the mcu/ppm in flash memory... It'll clear RAM and certain areas of eeprom which contain version specific data)...
    An mcu/ppm reflash alone (with no RAM or eeprom clearing) would be pointless as the cable couldn't cause direct flash problems unless the cable has encrypted flash/boot loaders

So, failsafe? Tamper alert? Come one - we need to get some NMP developer in here to break his NDA and be helpful to us all!!!!!

@DavieB what we meant by OEM software we should of termed your FLASH Software.
    Did anyone know if they were reflashed w/same version? Theres only 1 for the 8390 but the 8310 have a few already, dont they?

But I think we are all correct in thinking the cable/sim connection (shorting/losing connection) etc. is more the culprit. Because like you said a reflash fixed everything. So it wasnt anything TOO serious.

Forgot to mention before but we did have to repair the SIM connection in 1 of the cables we've used so far. One wire came off but from the looks of the soldering job in there they could of shorted at any given moment. We redid all of our cables to be sure. If any of you are techie maybe you could check and resolder yours.

Phonedudes

Thread Information