Thread: Moto C 330 Batteryu problem solution! Hardware mod - read here!

Moto C 330 Batteryu problem solution! Hardware mod - read here!

Hello

That Motorola C 330 i got recently did suffer from a problem, which haunts seemingly 98 % of these phones worldwide, according to several forums:

The internal, not changeable battery has six months warranty and is worn out after 6 1/2 months, no more keeping charge and draining totally within a few hours of standby.

That phone which i got here was 6 months and 3 weeks old, and my colleague who sold it to me said that "since a few days" he can charge the phone over night, arrive at the office at 8 with a full battery, NOT using the phone and around 3 pm it starts beeping "low battery". Well, i'm a hardware guy, and i went to work.

You need:

A Battery NOKIA, type BLD-3, used in 6610/7210/7250
    A screwdriver t-5, the same used for Nokia's
    A boxcutter
    A soldering iron and a bit of flux
    A Multimeter

I found, upon opening the phone with the screwdriver, that there is a green battery in it, "Made in China", 3.6 volts Li-Ion. The voltage and the size of the cell reminded me spontaneous of Nokia's batteries which have roughly the same size, and the same voltage too. Just in the Moto, the battery is connected to the phone's PCB with a two-pin detachable connector.

I took the battery out and compared it's size with a BLD-3 Battery from Nokia, which is slightly bigger and thicker, but that is when it is unopened!

I then took a box cutter and carefully opened the Nokia battery to get to it's actuall cell, which is beside the charging circuit within the white case. And see - that cell was of almost exactly the same dimensions as the unpeeled Motorola cell, just a little thicker (1 mm)!

Now, i clipped the wires with that connector off the Moto battery, and also removed the charging circuitry and it's connector "bands" from the Nokia cell. With the Multi-Meter i verified the polarity - (+) is on the case and (-) on the "knubble". i then soldered the Moto's wires with connector to that cell, and tested with the Multi-Meter again - the red wire is (+) and the blacl one is (-) !!!

Then i isolated the soldered points as well as the battery case (blank metal, carrying the (+)!!) carefully with Scotch tape, and placed it in the Motorola phone, where it fitted like "made for it". Connected the connector and powered up the phone - works like beauty!

Just be careful with the last step, putting the phone back together: You need to remove that little foam thingy under the battery, since the Nokia cell is slightly thicker than the original, and don't apply too much pressure on the PCB when putting it back on! I did it, and it works just excellent.

What do you gain after your work (which took me, but i have some experience, around 20 minutes only!) and sweat?

Well, the new battery will definitely last longer... i haven't heard of a Nokia battery dying after just half a year. And - it has quite a higher capacity too! The original is rated at 600 mAh where the Nokia BLD-3 gives 780 mAh. That means - longer standby- and talktime! But it also means longer charging time.... if mine iscompletely empty, it charges for over 2 1/2 hours untill it is completely full, but it seems to last for ever.... i have the phone now in standby, just sitting in my room and not being used, for the third day since the last recharge and it still shows all three battery bars..... i think that is not bad.

Please have a look at the attached file, it is a word-document with som,e pictures of my "operation", the pics are small and somewhat fuzzy but i had only my other phone's cam to take them.... but you can see the progress

Kind regards, and good luck soldering.....
    your Thanh
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information