Thread: Getting a T9 dictionary for the 7650 (four short questions)

Getting a T9 dictionary for the 7650 (four short questions)

Greets. I bought a used 7650 the other day at what I reckoned was a good price, with the drawback that it doesn't contain my native language, which is Swedish. Now, I'm all fine with the menus and everything being in English, but when writing SMS etc for other Swedish blokes it really would be awfully handy to have a T9 Swedish dictionary installed.

Upon contacting Nokia they tell me I probably need to have my software replaced, for which I should contact my nearest Nokia service center. My nearest Nokia service center are happy to replace my software, for a good deal of money. Now, in any such situation I check my options, so I've spent a good hour or more on these forums and have some questions, that someone will hopefully be able to help me with.

1. Does adding the Swedish dictionary necessarily require upgrading my phone software, or flashing, as it seems to be called? Bugger the menus, but does the dictionary require flashing?

2. I gather flashing always requires some kind of accessories and cannot be done for instance by bluetooth. What exactly do I need to flash the phone? A complete flasher kit, or just a single cable (saw someone sell a "flasher cable" at ebay, hence the question)?

3. What's a reasonable minimum price for which I might obtain the minimum required accessories for flashing? Just a very rough amount.

4. In case upgrading my software (flashing) on my own is not an option (for example, if it would turn out it's just more expensive than what the store asks, which is not unlikely), is there any other possible way to get a Swedish dictionary into my phone so I don't have to write every damn letter by itself? Some application, or other hack, or whatever?

Much obliged for any and all answers. Thanks in advance.

Anders,
    Sweden
    Last edited by Laanders; 20-02-2004 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Language, then seems it's not viewable (text blending into backgorund). Is it? Lol.

1. Does adding the Swedish dictionary necessarily require upgrading my phone software, or flashing, as it seems to be called? Bugger the menus, but does the dictionary require flashing?

Yes it does as the T-9 Section is contained on the Z: along with all the other phones software required to make it work.

2. I gather flashing always requires some kind of accessories and cannot be done for instance by bluetooth. What exactly do I need to flash the phone? A complete flasher kit, or just a single cable (saw someone sell a "flasher cable" at ebay, hence the question)?

As your phone is a DCT-4/WD2 model you WILL need a flash box of some description like a griffin box.

3. What's a reasonable minimum price for which I might obtain the minimum required accessories for flashing? Just a very rough amount.

Currently a griffin box is about $350 + shipping.

4. In case upgrading my software (flashing) on my own is not an option (for example, if it would turn out it's just more expensive than what the store asks, which is not unlikely), is there any other possible way to get a Swedish dictionary into my phone so I don't have to write every damn letter by itself? Some application, or other hack, or whatever?

Its possible I guess as other applications have been written for chinese on english phone but I don't know if anybody made one for your lang as its a relatively simple process to flash it to the phone.

Thread Information