Thread: [SCRIPT] Write Network List

Smile [SCRIPT] Write Network List

I am still continuing writing small patches and other scripts, although my fiancée is asking to do some redecoration work instead. This is, however, much cleaner, lighter, and funnier. But, may be some day also I will leave this forum and start living a standard life of a thirty+-year-old.

This script allows easy importing/exporting the PPM PLMN chunk from/to plain text files. I got this idea 1½ weeks ago in Germany where my phone showed old outdated names for the local GSM networks. I wondered that "if I have customized almost everything on this great 6110 phone, why I haven't done anything to these ancient network names it is displaying?"

I browsed though the PPM editors I had downloaded some years ago and noted that none of them were able to import a plain text file containing the up-to-date operator names. I also wanted to do all of my modifications using a single NokiX project for easier manageability. Therefore I wrote a NokiX script that manipulates the network names stored on the phone PPM.

Hint: If you are out of flash space, you can use this script also for deleting all/some operator names from your phone and gain more flash space! Or customize the operator names just for fun!

Download Write Network List 1.1 from:
    www.panuworld.net/nuukiaworld/download/nokix/network.htm
    Last edited by nuukiaworld; 05-02-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Newest version is 1.1, not 1.1.1

thanks you for this script
    Last edited by bobek_wb; 18-02-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Thank you. Here comes more free space. (:

Thumbs up thx!

thankx for the great script!!

it's now very easy to import operator names from wiki
    not one by one ... it was slow and boring

thanks again!

Looking for up-to-date operator names

Does anybody have a (Nokia) smart phone that contains the operator mcc/mnc codes and corresponding display names in human-readable format in the system files? (Some Symbian-based ones contain file operinfo.txt but the still-taped E90 I am destroying here does not have it...)

I just noticed last weekend that the example operator list in included with write_network_list is outdated even for Finland, so some up-to-date information (2007 or later version) would be nice for doing some cross-checking...

some weeks ago I played around dct4 flashfiles. PLNM chunk is very similar to dct3 format so i slightly modified yours write_network_list to be able to dump network list. In attachment you will find dumped network list from 6103 (V 06.31 24-05-07). Some things must be edited, e.g. dct4 mobiles have dummy CNTR sub chunks at the beginning 001, 002... and I'm a bit confused because some US mnc are duplicated(!)

on the other hand we can try mnc list from wiki's page or so...

http://druidbartek.info/network_list.zip

Thanks, I didn't realize that DCT-4 software can be processed using NokiX (with reasonable modifications).

Those dummy MCCs are not a problem, but they have little use because the phone shows the MCC/MNC numbers anyway. For USA I didn't notice any duplicate MNCs, many duplicate operator names are of course present, like in all big countries (like Finland ).

Your 6103 flash does not have a APAC PPM; I expect the APAC PPM to contain the Far-East operator names (e.g. for CHN, TWN) also in UCS-2 encoding. May be we should try to find a DCT-4 flash with APAC PPM and try to dump it to get the most complete list of operator display names.

Collecting MCC/MNC codes from other sources is not easy because we want to have the "display names" of the operators, not the official company names. (I haven't found lists containing texts that a Nokia phone shows for each operator.)

I ripped PLMN chunk from P language pack. You can analyse it and modify your patch to be able to export network list. My mod of your patch was very dirty and I don't have free time to rewrite it, but I think it shouldn't be a serious problem to you
    if you're using tools such as PPMaker you can simply import this chunk to dct3 flash files

http://druidbartek.info/plmn_rm161_522p.zip
    Last edited by druidbartek; 02-02-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Meanwhile, I combined the information from your dump with the network_list.txt file provided with write_network_list, copying the Unicode operator names from the old file to your new file.

(I also added the Namibian country code, which was missing from the new file for some unknown reason, fixed Zimbabwe country name to "ZWE" (ZMB is Zambia), renamed international shared code 901 to "901" (from NOR), commented out non-GSM-900/1800 countries etc. )

I will later crosscheck the results with the P PPM you provided. The current most-up-to-date version of network_list.txt is attached.

BTW. The double-MNC problem was caused by your patched script failing to extract MNCs larger than 255 properly (your file contained MNC values modulo 255).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Arrow Version 1.1 with DCT-4 PLMN export and updated network list

Yes, I modified my script to dump both DCT-3 and DCT-4-style PLMN data. You were right, it was not a big job; the biggest issue was to remember again the PPM basics and the PLMN chunk structure.

Thanks for the APAC DCT-4 PLMN, my manually updated network list (previous message) contained some errors, which I found by comparing it to a new one exported from your PLMN data. Some Unicode operator names where also updated.

New in Write Network List 1.1:
    • Support for DCT-4-format PLMN chunks (dump only). (Use this feature to copy operator names from a new DCT-4 flash file to your DCT-3 phone. You must use a PPM manager to copy the DCT-4 PLMN chunk to a temporary DCT-3 flash file before dumping it with this script.)
    • New script parameter 'ASCII': allows automatic exclusion of Unicode operator names.
    • Updated sample network list with 217 country codes and 816 network names.
    Next project (no idea when): Fix anonymous_access.nrx to enable hangup key and keyguard during anonymous access. I expect that no-one has fixed those bugs yet...
    Last edited by nuukiaworld; 05-02-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Newest version is 1.1, not 1.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by nuukiaworld View Post
    Next project (no idea when): Fix anonymous_access.nrx to enable hangup key and keyguard during anonymous access. I expect that no-one has fixed those bugs yet...
    well, somewhere in the middle of my NokiX clue file I have solution for hangup key work properly during anonymous_access. Now I'm working so I'll check it ASAP

hangup key solution:
    Code:
    a=find_ui_message(x2d(130),2)
    setbyte a+1 1
    findbl a; findldr rc; findldr rc+2
    setword rc+2 x2d(46c0)
    truly, to fix hangup key behaviour we should patch msg processing table (what isn't trivial)
    Code:
    case 0x371:
    /* ... */
             if( call_status == 0x0 )
             {
                if( *(unsigned char *)0x13FC9C == 0x1 )     <-- disabling this statement should fix this problem
                {
                   if( routine_at_0x2F1954() != 0x2 )
                   {
                      send_message(0x35E);
                   }
                }
             }
    /* ... */
    some times ago i succesfully patched processing table to disable voice tags features on newer models. If I find some free time I'll try to write a cleaner solution
    Last edited by druidbartek; 05-02-2008 at 01:33 AM.

Interesting, I already analyzed the msg processing table of my NSE-3, but I didn't didn't find such clear location that hangup (or any potential location). I have to recheck it when I return home...

The UI seem to hang in continous loop when trying to open the inbox in anonymous mode, too. (The phonebook works cleanly, instead!) I'm not sure if fixing all of these issues is worth of it...

Quote Originally Posted by nuukiaworld View Post
    The UI seem to hang in continous loop when trying to open the inbox in anonymous mode, too. (The phonebook works cleanly, instead!) I'm not sure if fixing all of these issues is worth of it...
    This issue I solved by hooking inbox/outbox to check if sim card is inserted or not. Exactly like we're entering to message editor - if SIM card is absent, "SIM card not ready!"message is dispalyed

PS. maybe we should post new thread because of off-topic we're doing here
    Last edited by druidbartek; 05-02-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by druidbartek View Post
    maybe we should post new thread because of off-topic we're doing here
    Or just ignore the minor issues with anonymous access... I found many setting menus on 6110 that fail to work during anonymous access. I think that is not feasible to try to catch all of them...

Thread Information