Thread: 3390 flash help...

Question 3390 flash help...

Hey everybody, just wanted to say that I'm really glad a forum like this exists on the net, or else the world would be a much sadder place.

Recently I've been given an old school 3390 and I'm in love with it... Except it doesn't accept my sim card and blah blah.

I called some local cell phone stores (didn't help) and I've finally decided that I'm going to have to flash the phone myself (since no other third party seems to be mentally capable of handling the job).

I've read the forum FAQs, and while they were extremely helpful in explaining the process of how to flash the phone (and explaining how the phone's memory works), I also realized that the flash guides are close to ten years old (with common references to 'Windows XP, ME, 98' and things like 'parallel ports') and the zip files don't work, since... Well, they're almost ten years old.

So I was wondering if any of you kind souls out there would be able to help me by providing me with some sort of modern day, step by step guide, as to what I'm going to need in terms of hardware and software to flash my phone from it's current 3390 limitations to perhaps the 3310 (or preferably 3315, if possible) software.

Any help will be truly appreciated.

Post Update:

Ok guys, since it seems like all I'm getting is crickets here, I've decided that I'm going to post some updates with regards to my 3390 flash progress, and if successful, I'll be more than happy to help all those who'd like to unlock/flash their older 33xx series phones by supplying a modern day step by step process as to how to go about doing this. I'm also assuming that there are still people out there who are either curious or interested in flashing their older Nokia's since this thread has been getting page views.

So far I've managed to email three online cell phone shops that happen to offer the cable for sale. Two of them couldn't help me, and I'm waiting for a response from the third.

I'm going to wait another 24 hours for the last guy to get back to me. If he doesn't, I'm just going to buy the cable and mess around with the Rolis software.

Unfortunatley, I don't own a computer which has a parallel port, so I'm going to have to buy a USB based cable. I know that the Rolis software was developed to be used with the parallel port design, so here's to hoping that I won't need some kind of parallel port emulator to get it working. Also, locating the flash files may be a bit tricky as I'm looking to upgrade to the 3315 OS. Finding a good support base for the phone is hard enough as it is, let alone an upgraded flash file...

If anyone else out there has an older nokia that they're looking to flash, feel free to speak up and post some comments here. I'll be back.

Hey everyone, I decided to pop in tonight to give you guys some updates.

I ended up ordering the cable and recieved it some time last week. Just as I thought, the programs which are used to flash and unlock these older nokias don't seem to be compatible with the USB based data cables. So... It looks like I'm at a dead end here. I don't have any parallel ports on my computer, so I can't say whether or not it would work on a computer which has them (probably does, but I'd never know since the participation on this forum seems rather apethetic).

Unless there's some kind programmer out there that wants to re-do the rolis software or something, I guess us folks who want to play around with our older Nokias via USB are SOL.

Guys... Am I really the only one on the face of the earth who has a burning desire to flash and unlock his nokia 33xx to get it working again? Give me a break. Out of the thousands of members on this forum, I'm the only one that wants to hack a dct 3 handset. I refuse to believe that.

I guess modern civilization really does have the memory span of a goldfish. I mean these phones practically built the cell phone industry and people just forgot about them and decided to move on to find better ways of complicating their lives... like with icraps and dingleberries.

100+ views can't be wrong. I'll be back.

Thread Information