Thread: Tips and others

Cool Tips and others

can the emergency no on the 5100 change and how? Also, is it true u can change the screen saver on the phone and what other tip u can know about

I am new to the 5100. I dont know any of the answers for your questions.
    I would like to know if its possible to upgrade the firmware, and if so... how? Where can I get a new firmware from. At the moment ive got 4.05.

here's some answers for both of you, hope they help...

I believe that the emergency numbers depend on your network, e.g. here in Australia the National Emergency Number is 000, and the Telstra (my chosen Network Provider) Emergency Number is 112. So I on my phone when my keypad is locked, I can still type either of these numbers (I can also type 08, but I'm yet to discover why...? I can't on any other phone I've tried...). But basically the bottom line is you can't change this number, why? Because that's the set number, I mean you can't change your Friends number.

The only avaliable screen saver is the clock - so this can't be changed.

Any other tips... Can't think of them now...

You can upgrade the firmware on the phone (most Nokias and other phones can). You can get new versions of firmware from sites on the internet. However, the hardware (cables etc.) required to do the upgrade is very very expense and makes it not worth it. But if your phone is still under warrenty, Nokia should upgrade it for free, so take it to your local Nokia Care Center. If your phone is not underwarrenty, they may do it at a price, or you may be abel to find other places that will doi it at your expense.

the emergency numbers system is different from the normal system.

when you call an emergency number, the phone sends a "emergency" flag along with the number, as if it tells the network that it calls an emergency number.

when a network recieves a call with emergency flag on it automatically:
    - gives the call priority over other calls (cause it is emergency).
    - doesn't charge for the call.
    - usually allows the call even for a phone that is not registered (phone with no simcard/simcard disabled/phone barred/phone from other network etc).

but another thing the networks do when recieving such call is automatically redirect it to the emergency center (or police, depends on the country), ignoring the number, so even if you change the emergency number to your friends number, when you call you'll get to the same place as if you called 112.

the reason for the networks to do that is that in older models people used that way to make free calls.

about the numbers themselves, untill now i have found:
    112, 911, 08, 000, 999, 110.
    first 3 work with my 6610, the others are from my friends 3200.

Thread Information