PDA

View Full Version : 8310 Problems

Khan_T
22-02-2003, 05:20 AM
I have an 8310 Contact Service problem.

I changed the screen LEDs on my 8310 to red and bridged the resistor and when I turned it on it said "Contact Service". If I turn it on with the charger in, it would turn on but the radio won't work and the reception only lasts for around 7secs and if I take the charger out it would turn off.

I've tried to remove all the LEDs and even the resistor but nothing works. I beleive I was very careful when I changed the LEDs.

What did I do wrong?

kavos86
23-02-2003, 08:08 AM
I had same prob

I think I touched a resister with my soldering iron

I have been told that u need to give it a s/w update to solve prob

but have not tried yet

Khan_T
23-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Oh serious... Bummer!

Well I've got to put purple lights on another 8310 and I'm scared I'll screw it up again.

Well tell me how it goes when you update it.

If that doesn't work you can always sell the parts on E-Bay. :)

Khan_T
23-02-2003, 05:20 PM
I was just told that I shouldn't of bridged the resistors and by doing so I totally screwed the phone up. Now I need to replace like nearly everything... :mad:

Is this true?

please let it be not...

rd350ypvs
23-02-2003, 08:59 PM
People used to bridge the resistors on 8210's and the like to get the maximum brightness (i.e max power) from the circuit.

I do not know if this still applies for the 8310, you could have damaged a power regulator etc, I can't see the whole phone going dead as the numerous circuits should be protected by inline fuses, so only that part of the circuit maybe damaged, but don't count on that

andyw

cprafferty
24-02-2003, 09:13 AM
Nice guide for 8310 LED change here (http://www.bluled.co.uk/8310.htm)

Khan_T
24-02-2003, 09:41 AM
LOL

That's the guide I followed...

sykownzu
25-02-2003, 01:52 PM
phone does look mint after tho. how much did all the stuff cost?

RFJ
26-02-2003, 05:31 PM
Why on earth would you need to change the LEDs when the factory fitted ones will light up any colour you choose...

Take a trip to your local art shop and buy the finest brush they have and a small pot of glass paint; the sort that is suitable for painting household lightbulbs (ie. doesn't fade over time). I'm sure I don't need to tell you the rest.

The paint can be removed and re-applyed as often as you wish. It is advisable to apply several coats if a deeper colour is required.

This method does not work on coloured LEDs, ONLY white.

Khan_T
27-02-2003, 12:25 PM
The lights coste me $2 each, pretty exspensive but I can't find any other LED supplier in Canberra.

Painted LEDs are not the same as LEDs which actually produce the colour. LEDs which produce the colour definitely look better.

RFJ
27-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Khan_T
Painted LEDs are not the same as LEDs which actually produce the colour. LEDs which produce the colour definitely look better.

Rather a sweeping statement, although very correct in the case of cheap or badly applied paint.

The paint I speak of in my first post needs to be sourced from a good art shop. It is clear, not the cloudy type, and can produce the same colours as any LED. Furthermore, it will not fade, like the ink from a permanent marker would.

This is the type of paint that is used in the manufacture of professional gobos for disco scanners and is responsible for all the coloured light beams that we dance to when out clubbing. I cant imagine anyone not being happy with these colours.

The important factor is that the correct paint is APPLIED properly. Any one that lacks the patience and dexterity required to paint the LEDs correctly, should not be attempting to de/resolder LEDs to the board.

Personally, for the sake of £20, I'd have the job done by a club nokia service centre offering the service and then the warranty wont be invalidated. Unless, of course, the phone is almost/out of warranty.:)

csmith
01-03-2003, 10:36 AM
amen to that brother

NDI
05-03-2003, 08:55 PM
CD-R pens worked great for me :p

RFJ
07-03-2003, 08:12 PM
Really?

I mentioned them fading cos a couple of years ago I made my own colour/effect disk for a fibre optic Xmas tree (I didn't want it multi coloured - just blue & white), using a blue permanent marker (made by Staedtler). When we took our decorations down in the January, I noticed that the disk I'd done was quite faded (and warped:D), obviously from the heat of the halogen bulb.

I guess that the pen/ink you used hasn't faded like my disk because the LEDs don't get nearly so hot. And it'll be very easy to remove/change too I suppose.

Cheers

Rick.