PDA

View Full Version : nokia VPN client

Cod
18-09-2003, 06:28 PM
Hi Sektor_1,
I am very curious about what it does as u have 9210i. I have bluyonder 1MB internet home and would like to use a bit of its bandwith for my commy as well. Is that VPN client any help in this case? Or are there any other working solutions? Guess lots of commy users want to use cable or IR connection to one of thier PC to connect to the internet. How did you solve this problem? Did you? This case means a lot to me. I would very appreciate if you can point me somewhere.
Thanks a lot
Cod

sektor_1
19-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Good question. You always ask the hard questions don't you ;-)

I personally have never used my commy to connect to a lan or the internet via a lan and surf like that. To do this you need a programme called m-router. This lets you connect to a LAN and use the LAN to surf out to the net.

I am pretty certain that the Nokia VPN Software works on the 9210 aswell. Here are some links with further information.

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,3226,00.html
Link to the Noka VPN Webpage
On the right hand side of thee page under Related topics read the file called Mobile VPN datasheet. If give a further breakdown of what it does and how.

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,152,00.html
You need the mobile vpn link at the bottom

There is also the movianVPN, similar to the nokia version just made by a different company.
http://www.certicom.com/products/movian/movianvpn.html

The Nokia VPN software has to be bought seperately. It unfortunately doe not come with the 9210i software cd

Hi Sektor_1,
I am very curious about what it does as u have 9210i. I have bluyonder 1MB internet home and would like to use a bit of its bandwith for my commy as well. Is that VPN client any help in this case? Or are there any other working solutions? Guess lots of commy users want to use cable or IR connection to one of thier PC to connect to the internet. How did you solve this problem? Did you? This case means a lot to me. I would very appreciate if you can point me somewhere.
Thanks a lot
Cod

asiwal
19-09-2003, 01:08 PM
here is an easier way

you will need

MochaPPP (http://www.mochasoft.dk/download.html#palm) and

Extended Internet (http://my-symbian.com/9210/applications/applications.php?fldAuto=241&faq=2)

using the standard data cable.

Install MochaPPP
Close Nokia PC Suite tray icon for CopyAnywhere
Close Nokia PC Suite tray icon for Connection (in that order or MochaPPP will give a message saying that an another program is using the port)
Connect your PC with Internet (if not on LAN)
Run MochaPPP
Go to configuration settings:
Menu: Settings -> Configuration...
Serial port: COM1 (the port to which PC Suite is connected)
Windows CE: <selected>
Baud rate (port speed): 115200
Run Extended Internet on the Communicator
Extras -> eInternet Wizard
Create a new Internet access point:
Direct access -> Open
Do you using MochaPPP on your PC ? -> Yes -> Next
Please select your null (direct) modem -> RAS (cable null modem) -> Next
Please enter connection name -> eInternet Mocha connection -> Next
Now you have Direct access point properly configured -> Finish
Modify a few connection parameters (this may not be strictly necessary):
Access points -> Open
Access points -> select "eInternet Mocha connection" -> Set default
Options -> If no clients, stay online - > for 60 minutes
Options -> If idle, stay online - > for 60 minutes
Options -> Ask before connecting - > No
Quick connect -> Show connection icon -> Yes
Quick connect -> Quick connection shorttcut -> Ctrl + Internet
Quick connect -> Ask before connecting - > No
Quick connect -> Prefered access point -> eInternet Mocha connection
Access points -> select "eInternet Mocha connection" -> Actions -> Edit connection -> Advanced settings
Auto retrieve DNS address -> No
Primary DNS address -> <enter IP address>
Secondary DNS address -> <enter IP address>
Done -> Done -> Done -> Close
Connect to the Internet:
Press the shortcut: Ctrl + Internet (a message "eInternet Quick connect: Connected" is shown)
Surf the web (or whatever):
Internet -> WWW
Close the Internet connection:
Press the shortcut: Ctrl + Internet -> Extended Internet: You have active connection(s)! Disconnect ? -> Disconnect (a message "Extended Internet: Disconnecting" is shown)

It seems to be necessary once in a while to close down and restart the MochaPPP application on the PC, because the 9210 sometimes cannot maintain the connection.

Cod
19-09-2003, 06:12 PM
I don't need to ask simply silly question which everyone already knows, do I? ;).
As I understand VPN is for wireless connection using any SIM/operator services. In that case mochappp comes with solution I've been looking for. thanks Asiwal for written instruction about mochappp and extended internet. Any chance of getting extended internet in this forum? Please, please ;)

About minime redshift commander. Do you guys have same problems when saving setting in that commander? It keeps saying "save settings is disabled in miniMe version" Does it mean it is trial/demo? If so, may I humbly ask you powerful ones for serial or anything that might help? Otherwise it is pretty useless. ;(.

Will reply how it works with mochappp and extended internet once I got a copy of it.

Once again thanks Sektor_1 and asiwal.

sektor_1
19-09-2003, 06:16 PM
send me a pm with your email addy, I'll send u programms u want.