PDA

View Full Version : Did I just kill my phone?

VW181
04-10-2002, 07:03 AM
I have been playing with my phone and I think I may have killed it. I picked up an old 5120 from a friend that I wanted to use for my account. I had the guys at Cingular turn it on and then proceeded to run the ucables unlocker program on it because it still read US Cellular on the display. I reprogrammed the settings in the phone and it works when I am not in my home area. But when I am in my home area, I get an error message and cannot send or recieve calls. I took the phone back to Cingular and they could not find anything wrong with the phone or thier system. Is there any way to make this work again? If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

phonedudes
04-10-2002, 08:05 AM
If the phone still processes calls then you didnt 'kill' your phone .

First of all you for future reference you probably did NOT need to run the Ucables unlocker if you just wanted to change the Operator Tag. As long as you had access to nam programming, you could of changed the operator tag and been done. 5120's dont have a hidden storage area like the 5160's where the carrier overides the alpha tag.

Anyway since you already ran the unlcoker prog. You need to provide a little more information to what actually you did and what settings are in the phone now..

What kind of 'Error Message' are you talking about.

Also what band is your carrier and the system id.

PHONEDUDES :) :grin: :)

ismael_mj23
04-10-2002, 12:32 PM
Is that error message audible, like when you call someone and the phone is busy or visible in the phone lcd?

I've been having a few problems when I use that unlocker with verizon phones, Aparently the software change something in the authentication key of the phone and after resetted and programmed I try to make a call and it begins but it shuts off in the middle of ringing to tell me the call can't be completed. I just calle tech support in verizon, they just reset the info and the phone works.

That's why I ask is it visible or audible?

Ismael

VW181
04-10-2002, 09:45 PM
The error message says 'this number is not recognized as an authourized user on this network. If you are a new customer and feel you recieved this message in error, call *611.'

I called *611 and they walked me through programming the phone number and system ID code. But that didn't help. I can make and recieve calls from outside my home area, but in my home area I cannot do either and get the error message above when I try to make a call.

Thanks

ismael_mj23
04-10-2002, 11:43 PM
It is not damage if it makes calls.

Ismael