PDA

View Full Version : Widcomm BlueTooth guide

dr.bizar
01-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Hi all heres my 2cent's on bluetooth.

You’re prolly reading this because you like me made a bad judgment regarding the ease of Bluetooth

As I’ve only had a chance to fool around with widcomm driver, I will only cover the install, and point out some of the known errors, in the widcomm stack.

Before you read this guide, plz read beneath to see if that fits your err description; if so you might not have to read on.

Q: PC Suite, oxygen and everything else but MobiMb works perfect.
MobiMb disconnects me, as soon as I try to connect. – what’s up with that ?

A: Some Widcomm stack ver. doesn’t work with MobiMb. The guys at “logomanger” are aware of the problem, but don’t supply a solution though. My advise is to use the highest version of the widcomm drivers (atm..1.4.3.4), and use XP sp2 BT drivers when running MobiMb. This way you can still e.g. use your Nokia as an audio gateway in skype, and use MobiMb to install you precious games. Some people have reported that initialising the connection (widcomm) prior to starting up LogoManager, can work around the problem. On the other hand, if all you do is play with mp3, contacts or/and games I’d go with the MS drivers. Simple, easy and right to the point – to simple I might add !!! Another way around the problem, is to find a widcomm stack that works with MobiMb – I cannot however promise you that the advanced widcomm features will function correctly. I haven’t found such a Bluetooth stack yet – I’ll post it if I do.

How do you switch between the two driver stacks you ask – Well the crude ways is to install the MS drivers once more, and vise versa. To see how I install and uninstall my drivers see “tips and tricks”. I’ve been told there’s a program out there that enables you to switch between the two stacks in an instance, but I haven’t been able to get my hands on it yet – plz do post it or send it to me, if you find it.

Here’s comparison table to help you decide between the drivers:

WIDCOMM SUPPORTED BLUETOOTH PROFILES:
GAP (Generic Access Profile),
SDAP (Service Discovery Profile),
SPP (Serial Port Profile),
HSP (Headset Profile),
DUN (Dial Up Networking Profile),
FAX (FAX Profile),
LAN (LAN Access Profile),
OPP (Object Push Profile),
FTP (File Transfer Profile),
SYP (Synchronization Profile),
PAN (Personal Area Network Profile),
HID ( Human Interface Device Profile),
GOEP (Generic Object Exchange Profile),
HCRP (Hard Copy Cable Replacement Profile)
PIM Synchronization

MICROSOFT SUPPORTED BLUETOOTH PROFILES
Personal Area Networking (PAN)- Enables IP connections over Bluetooth
Hard Copy Replacement Profile (HCRP)- Enables printing
Human Interface Device (HID)- Enables Bluetooth keyboards, mice, and joysticks
Dial-Up Networking (DUN)- Enables Bluetooth mobile phones to work as modems
Object Push Profile (OPP)-Enables file transfers
Virtual COM ports (SPP)- Enables legacy programs to communicate with Bluetooth devices

To check if the Bluetooth device you own will work with Windows XP built-in drivers - click http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=841803

Now let’s go on to the actual install guide. (widcomm) If you having trouble with MS bluetooth plz see this document

1) Get hold of the newest widcomm drivers. If you vendor doesn’t supply them, download the package from MSI (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_list.php?part=8&kind=23&CHIP=23&ID=8) (ver. 1.4.3.4) NOT the one for SP in any case + this patch (http://xored.dk/nokia/patch_v4.rar) to remove the security check (enables MSI drivers to be used by another vendors dongle)
Also get a copy of the latest Pc suite.

2) Find out what ver. of Xp you’re currently running (if you’re using XP else just skip this step). Right Click “My Computer” -> Properties. “system properties” now pops up, and you should be able to see what ver. you are currently using. If you’re running sp2 go
Start->run and type %windir%\inf . Now you need to locate bth.inf and bth.pnf. Move these two files to another dir e.g. “Bth_old”. It’s NOT enough to rename the files !
You need to remove these files to disable MS native Bluetooth.
(see tips and tricks. To see how to rollback your driver, or is it forward ? )

3) Unplug ALL Bluetooth dongles/cards from you computer.

4) Install the widcomm software. During the installation you will be promted to insert you Bluetooth device -> don’t do it - just click cancel.

5) Patching and restarting. If you’re using another vendors SW you need to apply the patch from step 1. Next reboot your computer.

6) Insert you dongle an follow the steps in the driver wizard. If the dongle isn’t recognized, select “install third part drivers” and select the path to your widcomm dir. Sometimes you’ll have to restart once more, before the driver works.

7) Double click the Bluetooth icon, and follow the wizard – If you’re not sure which services you need, just use the standard settings. You can always add/remove services.

8) Install Nokia PC suite. Under connection manager deselect all but “widcomm Bluetooth connection” If the phone doesn’t connect at first click “configure”.
Pc Suite will search for you phone. The first time you connect to your phone, you will have to enter a “pin”. This pin is used to “pair” devises to you computer. Enter the same pin on you phone when promted. The pin is entirely up to you - I use “1234” for simplicity. Accept connection when you phone promts you.

9) Now go to “Bluetooth places” click “entire Bluetooth neighborhood” and select you phone. Widcomm will now detect the services available. Click “connect to com port”
or sometimes you need to connect to “nokia Pcsuite on…” This step is necessary
to ensure connection with other programs than PC suite.

That’s it – you should now be up and running

Tips and Tricks:

Switch from widcomm to MS bluetooth. Copy the two files mentioned above, back to your inf dir. Unplug and plugin your dongle in another usb port – now it will install as generic Bluetooth radio. If you haven’t got any free USB ports try using “Device manager” (run->devmgmt.msc) to install the MS stack once more.

Switch from MS bluetooth to widcomm. (Re)move the files from your “inf” dir once more. Now run->devmgmt.msc. Under Bluetooth right click “Bluetooth radio” and install the widcomm drivers.

Playing around with services
The bletooth services in windows can be Stopped/started under “services manager”
Run->services.msc /s . The services you are looking for is called “Bluetooth service”
and “Bluetooth support service”. What a surprise ehh ?
Now why would I want to do that you ask ? Starting/stopping these services can be an alternative to rebooting when your connection f***’s up. Also it can be very useful when debugging.