PDA

View Full Version : tom.tom without gps?

superfakename
20-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Hello,

I saw on e-bay, someone selling a tom.tom mobile mmc card without the gps receiver. I would like to know will it work without the receiver ie calculating routes, looking at maps etc

cheers

coolice00
20-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Hey,

Simple answer mate is no. Basically TomTom requires the GPS unit to let it know where you are to be able then to calculate a route.

Best bet, as GPS units are now coming down in price is to save up & grab one from Ebay.
Also, if you already have a MMC big enough to hold TomTom (256mb+ preferably) then just download the app & spend the money on the GPS.

You will not be disappointed, it is a great satnav solution.

Ian

superfakename
20-03-2005, 06:01 PM
thanks coolice00, please lock thread

iceboy
15-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Hey mate;
I say you can use the tomtom without the gps. Basically if you log on to http://rp.rac.co.uk/routeplanner you;ll see a route planner on the site.
It shows how to go to a destination from departue.
It shows you how to go to your destination by texts and on the map.
Just like on the link i gave you above.
But if you want and voiced instractions and wanna know where you are at the time, you may use the gps. But from my look; i dont need a gps as i can easily find my way by looking at the tomtom's maps.
Hope this helps.

coolice00
15-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi,

Sorry, but to say you can use TomTom Mobile without a GPS unit & then post a link to a web based route planner is a bit mis-leading mate.

You cannot use TomTom Mobile without a GPS unit, basically it does not know where it is & then where to get you to. Then if you try to just pan around the map all you do is alter the speech volume & nothing more.

Agreed the above will get you from one point to another, but it is totally different to TomTom on a mobile phone.

Again invest in the GPS, you will not be disappointed. I have only just got all the the right parts to use TomTom on my 6630 & it's great.

Ian

momagic
15-05-2005, 01:30 PM
the only thing you can do is plan routes, but you need to leave bluetooth on

does anyone know whether or not this Nokia Wireless GPS Module will work with route 66 or tomtom?

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,63967,00.html

coolice00
15-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Hey,

That Nokia GPS should work with Route66 ok, TomTom may require you to use the traffic update or the "All-GPS-Hack" version.

But, looking at the specifications of the unit I wouldn't go for that one.
Knowing Nokia it's going to be quite expensive for what you get & it only tracks 12 channels. The new breed of GPS unit's are now tracking 20 channels, middle of the road unit's are now upto 16 channels.

It is my feeling & from what I have read, the more channels the unit can track the more accurate the positioning will be.
I have just got myself the new GlobalSat BT-338 which is 20 channels all-in-view tracking & it's a great unit. On Ebay they are going from £90 posted to £140.

Ian

iceboy
16-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Hi,

Sorry, but to say you can use TomTom Mobile without a GPS unit & then post a link to a web based route planner is a bit mis-leading mate.

You cannot use TomTom Mobile without a GPS unit, basically it does not know where it is & then where to get you to. Then if you try to just pan around the map all you do is alter the speech volume & nothing more.

Agreed the above will get you from one point to another, but it is totally different to TomTom on a mobile phone.

Again invest in the GPS, you will not be disappointed. I have only just got all the the right parts to use TomTom on my 6630 & it's great.

Ian

Well Mate, sorry but i cannot call the above link as miss'leading.
I am using Nokia 6260 with CityMaps installed. I have many maps installed on the citymaps's map directory. And basically i enter my destination and my departure and it shows me how to go there -road by road instruction-

It shows map on the half of the screen and on the other half, it shows the instructions. I gave the rac link on my previous post, just to show how tomtom would work on a mobile. Just to give you guys an idea. And it has no difference then rac route planner.
I've got the pictures from my mobiles screen for you guys to see.

I have 24 pics. Just to save space and time i have uploaded the pics to one of my sites. The link is:

http://www.geocities.com/iceboy_greenlife/tomtom/citymaps.htm

Hope you believe me now guys.

coolice00
16-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Hey,

I thought this was where the confusion is, we are talking about different applications.

TomTom City Maps works differently to TomTom Mobile, in that TomTom Mobile requires a GPS. This is the one I use & have not used City Maps.

In your original post you didn't mention TomTom City Maps, and the topic of the thread is pointing towards TomTom Mobile I felt.
Now I see the revelance to your first post & link, but it doesn't apply to the use of TomTom Mobile.

No problem, people now know the different versions we're talking about.

Ian

iceboy
16-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Oh! Yes mate, I now realliesed that we are talking about different applications.

Anyway, we still made a point that if ppl dont wanna buy gps, they can use tomtom CITYMAPS and not tomtom MOBILE.

I think this problem is now solved.

Cheers.

deliekes
17-05-2005, 12:34 PM
well then i would like to say that i am using tomtom mobile and i use it without a gps receiver. there's an option called "plan route from point A to point B" or in my language "dutch" plan van A naar B. and i've used it a lot so the fact is that u can use it without a gps receiver but it's true that your phone will not know its location that is the only reason u need a receiver