PDA

View Full Version : Att Wireless

firemanrob88
21-10-2002, 04:19 AM
Hey there, I read something in here about there being a secret area of the 516x (I have the 5165) series phones where the network contols the alpha tag I think. Is there a way to break in and change it? Also, I live in an area with poor reception on the ATT system. Every once in a while the phone will switch to ROAM and the signal meter goes to full power. Is there a way to force the phone to stay on that system and if so what might be the downsides to doing it?

Thanks a bunch!

Rob

green gerbil
21-10-2002, 11:07 PM
Well for alpha tag control I found an article, here it is. Your SID's and SOC's are most likely different. Telling the phone not to roam is a little harder. You can tell it to disable public and residential systems by going into nam programming then NAm 1 then change defaults.

The alpha tag is the message that is displayed on your phone when in digital coverage. This is normally transmitted by the network, but can be
overidden to display a different tag. This is done by creating a tag for a personal/residential zone in the phone, and setting this zone to have the
same settings as your normal carrier. So when the phone identifies the network system it believes it is in the personal/residential zone and
displays the tag you have programmed.
1) Enter programming mode of the phone by keying *3001#12345#
2) Find out the ID of your operator by entering the NAM1 menu. Note the Home System ID setting. (16387 on Rogers AT&T in Calgary)
3) Scroll to and enter PSID/RSID lists (menu 7)
4) Select P/RSID 1
5) Scroll to PSID/RSID and change the setting to 1
6) Scroll to Connected system ID and change the setting to the ID of your system (eg 16387)
7) Scroll to Alpha Tag and enter the message you would like displayed.
8) Scroll to Operator code (SOC) and enter coed for your provider such as 2050 for Rogers or 2049 for AT&T
9) Scroll to Country code and enter 302 for Rogers or 310 for AT&T
10) Power cycle your phone and hopefully your message will be displayed
Note: This has only been tested in Calgary on the Rogers AT&T network so may not work on other networks.

firemanrob88
22-10-2002, 12:28 AM
Thanks for your reply, in my phone(5165) there are two nams. Nam 1 I can change anything I want and seems to have no effect. Nam 2's PSID/RSID menu is protected. When I try to enter it the phone reads "not allowed". I'm guessing this is where all the important stuff is located. Do you know how to get in there? Also, do you know where I can get a list of the programming info I need ( country code, operator code etc..)for california?

thanks again!

phonedudes
22-10-2002, 07:07 AM
Nam1 is where you will need to change it..

The reason the Psid/Rsid menu is not accessable from Nam 2 is because it doesnt exist so thats why the 'Not Allowed' msg.

Without the Svc Software, proper phone files, cable etc.. what you are doing is 'tricking' the phone to NOT use the OTA Alpha Tag and choose the one you enter for the 'Family Plan' and your just renaming 'Family' or 'Group' to whatever you want..

The easiest thing to tell you is if you know anyone in YOUR area w/ATT that has the 'family plan' to copy down how there phone is programmed.

If you live in Southern Cal you can try the following:

U.S.A. = 310 (country code)
P/Rsid 1 = 40117
Connected System Id = 27
S.O.C. = 2049
And change the Alpha Tag under the P/Rsid area... Changing it in the Main area will just name your Nam1 to that otherwise you will NEVER see it.

PHONEDUDES :) :grin: :)

firemanrob88
30-10-2002, 06:57 PM
Hey i got the alpha tag chqanged. there was one step left out of the process maybe you know or don't, but after you enter the correct values in psid/rsid 1 you need to reboot. then you select system (menu 5) and you select manual. there you should see AT&T available and scroll down one and then you will see the alpha you programmed from PSid 1 also available. all you do is select your alpha, the phone will display "requesting" and should swap over. Which brings more questions..

what is a Psid, a connected system ID, and an Operator code (SOC)?

How does the phone know to work when the original programming comes with all the PSID's at zero values? Is there something else that tells the network what phone it is that I cant see in the programming menu?

thanks!

firemanrob88
30-10-2002, 07:03 PM
under NAM1 Change defaults menu enable or disableing public, private and residential systems, the phone asks me for a password, do you know what it is or where I can find it?

also I messed up my phone to where it wouldn't work and I called customer service for att. they gave me a code to put in and send to the network to reprogram the phone over the air, do you know that code? (I forgot to write it down).

Do you know where I can get a service type manual for a 5165 for the ATT system?

Sorry if this is too much at once!

Thanks a bunch!

jibril_s
19-11-2002, 06:48 PM
its 123456

dgiraldoxxi
02-06-2005, 01:39 AM
[QUOTE=firemanrob88]under NAM1 Change defaults menu enable or disableing public, private and residential systems, the phone asks me for a password, do you know what it is or where I can find it?

also I messed up my phone to where it wouldn't work and I called customer service for att. they gave me a code to put in and send to the network to reprogram the phone over the air, do you know that code? (I forgot to write it down).

Do you know where I can get a service type manual for a 5165 for the ATT system?

Sorry if this is too much at once!

Thanks a bunch![the codes you are wanting are 123456 for all options (excuse my bad english )