PDA

View Full Version : Useless Phone

man_muffy
21-10-2002, 04:25 PM
My 8310 just turns off when it actually connects to the network, then cycles on/off repeatedly. Is this a network IMEI bar? It does the same with Voda and Virgin - haven't tried any others.
Currently the phone is useless to me and the networks won't give me details of who has barred it (phone found in puddle in park), so I can't return it. I have 4 questions:
:confused: Can I change the IMEI if I have a DCT4 dual bus cable?
:confused: What s/w do I need?
:confused: I have seen mention of a dongle. What is this needed for and when?
:confused: Is there any way of finding the owner?

Sorry to be a pain and I'm sure this has all been asked a zillion times, but I'm new to all this.

Muffy

lonegunman
21-10-2002, 04:40 PM
Odd's are you have some water damage on the phone which you need to clean.Then you may need a software upgrade as the old 8310's were full of bugs.

At this time I there is no free software for IMEI changing or for software upgrade (for upgrade I can do for you), the dongle which one as it could be the unlocking dongle, flashing dongle or the PKD-1, as for founding the owner if the networks can't give out the info what chance do we have, if you PM me the IMEI number I can see if I can get some info from club nokia but thats about it, I would hand the phone in to the police and wait for 3 or 6 months to see if anyone claims it if not the phone is yours, so you could phone up the barring network and get it unbarred as you have done all you can to find the owner.

Before you hand it in (if you do) take the battery out and note down all the numbers on the label as that is all the info you can get off the phone.

All the best with this.:D

man_muffy
21-10-2002, 04:49 PM
The phone worked with my Voda SIM for a couple of weeks, then started the cycling business. If it did that straight away I would have assumed it was a hardware fault from water damage.

Is that the symptom of a handset bar? The initial power-on looks ok, then I just catch a glimpse of the VODAFONE" logo and the display blanks, then after about a second delay starts up and does it again.

I understand that the handsets blast out a few Watts when they first connect to the network, so if there are any dodgy contacts caused by the water, then that's when it would manifest itself.

If it's definitely not a network bar then I will take the phone apart and clean its bits. Can anyone confirm that the symptoms indicate a network bar rahther than a rusty contact?

lonegunman
21-10-2002, 04:54 PM
As far as I can tell it's not network barred if the sim works in a diffrent phone then it's not as vodafone are now barring sim's as well so if the sim works in another phone then it's not.

man_muffy
21-10-2002, 05:00 PM
When you say "Vodafone are barring SIMs as well", what does that mean? If I put my (company phone's) SIM in a handset-barred phone does that mean they will ban my SIM too? I started using my company VF SIM in the 8310 rather than the issued 3310 - was I risking great fury from my employers?

What are the symptoms of a handset bar?

lonegunman
21-10-2002, 05:05 PM
Yes it will bar your sim and then you have to phone up vodafone and get a new one, barred fones can't make, take calls and texts, some will show signal some will not.

man_muffy
21-10-2002, 05:10 PM
But not the cycling on and off business?

lonegunman
21-10-2002, 05:13 PM
Could be hardware could be software, if you can check the software version by pressing *#0000# and post bacK i can tell if its software (5.57 is the lastest).

man_muffy
21-10-2002, 05:32 PM
It's V04.53
15-12-01
NHM-7

lonegunman
21-10-2002, 05:36 PM
humm, that software Version is not as bad as the rest, but could still do with an upgrade, anyway strip the phone down give it a clean and see if that helps, if not then get an upgrade, if that don't work not sure phone could be fcuked and only service center could fix:(

man_muffy
21-10-2002, 05:38 PM
Thanks for your help. I'll try cleaning it around all the contacts.
:)