PDA

View Full Version : MIDlets Programming

kiddomarc
22-11-2002, 04:34 PM
@tiger42

haha @ "hello world"

anywayz, bro, in nokia forum there is a tutorial/guide there how to make one, but the only thing that stops me from doing so is the SDK file is so huge to download, maybe there are some simplified ones? coz the SDK for the J2ME Symbian is like 122mb.

tiger42
22-11-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by kiddomarc
coz the SDK for the J2ME Symbian is like 122mb.

That is not exactly the truth...
The SDK for Symbian OS (for writing native Symbian apps) is 122MB. You can order it free of charge on CD somewhere on the Nokia forum site.
The filename is: Series_60_SDK_v0.9_for_Symbian_OS.zip

The JME SDK is "only" 39MB large. I do not know if it is also on the SDK CD.
Filename: nS60_jme_sdk_b0_1a.zip
Additionally there is a JME Concept SDK, which is 5,6MB large.
Filename: nS60_jme_concept_sdk_b0_1.zip

I have downloaded all of them...

kiddomarc
23-11-2002, 08:35 AM
is that SDK 39mb enough to make a midlet? i tried downloading it but it doesnt a have a compile??

kiddomarc
24-11-2002, 03:57 AM
hey tiger are you there?

tiger42
24-11-2002, 08:52 PM
Ok, I think I figured out what and how to install...

The following steps describe how to install the Borland JBuilder and the J2ME SDK. Of course you can use any other IDE than JBuilder, but it is good and it is free as Personal Edition (although you are officially only allowed to use it for personal purposes...)

1. Download the Borland JBuilder7 Personal, the JBuilder7 docs and the samples if you wish. You get these files from www.borland.com.
jb7_windows.zip: 47,1 MB
jb7docs.zip: 56,1 MB
jb7samples.zip: 5 MB

2. Install JBuilder7

3. Install the Jbuilder7 docs

4. Download the Borland Mobileset 3 from www.borland.com. It seems to be also free.
mobileset_301.zip: 24,8 MB

5. Install it. It automatically detects your JBuilder installation and plugs into it. Now you should already be able to develop Java application for different mobile devices. Emulators are included, I think. You can find a list of these devices under ...\JBuilder7\J2mewtk\wtklib\devices\...

6. Download the Nokia Developer's Suite v1.0 from the Nokia forum.
nds_jme_v_1_0.zip: 29,3 MB

7. Install it. DO NOT install it to a path with blanks in it!!! It will not work then! When asked, choose "Integrated with Borland JBuilder". Your JBuilder now has got a new menu "Tools - Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME(TM)" and you should be able to create applications for the Nokia 6310i with it.

8. Download the Nokia Series 60 MIDP SDK Beta 0.1 for Symbian OS
nS60_jme_sdk_b0_1a.zip: 39 MB

9. Install it. Again: DO NOT install it to a path with blanks. It should detect the path to your Developer's Suite and choose the correct install path itself. It did not work for me... I manually chose the path ...\Nokia_Developers_Suite\Emulators\Nokia_Series_60_MIDP_SDK_Beta_0_1

10. Start the JBuilder. Go to the menu "Tools - Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME(TM) - Configure Emulators"

11. Click on "New...". Choose the path you installed the MIDP SDK for Symbian to. Choose the file "Nokia Series 60 MIDP SDK Beta 0.1.xml". Click "Select", then "OK".

12. Now you have to add the new JDK to the JBuilder. Because this is normally not supported by the Personal version, just change an existing entry... Go to "Tools - Configure JDKs". Choose your existing JDK, for example "java 1.3.1-b24". Click "Rename" and rename it to, for example, "Nokia JDK". Press the "Change" button and choose the path you installed the MIDP SDK to (for example ...\Nokia_Developers_Suite\Emulators\Nokia_Series_60_MIDP_SDK_Beta_0_1).
The "Micro" tab below should now say "Device Name: Nokia Series 60 MIDP SK Beta 0.1 for Symbian OS"

I think that is all. Now it is up to you to write your first "Hello World"...
I do not have enough time at the moment to deal with it :-(

tiger42
24-11-2002, 09:06 PM
Just found out that a "Hello world" example is already included in the Nokia SDK: Just open ...\Nokia_Developers_Suite\Midp\examples\HelloExamples\HelloExamples.jpx with JBuilder

Pejo
24-11-2002, 10:06 PM
Whitch program is for develope programs and games in .SIS file? Where can I buy it?

Thanks in advance...

tiger42
24-11-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Pejo
Whitch program is for develope programs and games in .SIS file? Where can I buy it?

Go there: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,35452,030,00.html

Download the Series 60 SDK for Symbian OS (122 MB!!). It is free!

I am not sure, but I think that a C++ compiler ist already included. Nevertheless Nokia recommends to use Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 with the SDK.

tiger42
25-11-2002, 12:34 AM
I have got the "Hello world" and "Bouncing Text" examples to work in the Epoc emulator!
Now I am ready to code! Any wishes? ;-)

mydonnay
25-11-2002, 01:32 AM
may I wish? :)

kiddomarc
25-11-2002, 02:03 AM
i c.. so its a crap.. im only using a dial up modem. :)