Thread: Nokia 6230 Sim Card problem

Nokia 6230 Sim Card problem

Hi all,

I have a Nokia 6230 here that has an odd problem. It works perfectly and has the 5.50 firmware on it. It is unlocked for any network.

The problem though is this. If i place a Virgin sim in the phone it boots up ok no problem, if i put my vodafone sim in again no problem. If i put any other sim in the phone including a different Vodafone sim it just says insert sim card.

No signs of liquid damage. Phone flashes fine every time.

Any thoughts?

problem with 32k/64K sim cards?

make a search as there are some post regarding issues with old/new SIM cards

cheers
    searching and asking won't kill you, will only make you wiser (please search before you ask! )
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Asking how is like traveling the entire space in 3 seconds. (Nokdoc)

Hi Mestrini...

Thanks for the post. Pretty sure that this isn't a sim card issue as all the sim cards i am trying are brand new.

Its odd that it will read a new Virgin and Vodafone sim but wont read any others. Does the phone have some sort of tolerance built into the sim reader?

Thats maybe a question for your hardware knowledge electro!

Thanks

and here i am!!

i was waiting to see what else was said about this problem before i posted any opinion...

Liquid Damaged (or otherwise damaged) 6230s are very difficult to bring back (in my experience) when you have a Phone (6230) that is displaying "Insert SIM" then its not generally good news!! there is a "SIM Switch", this is a small shiney BGA next to the SIM Reader and the RTC Battery... this is responsible for switching between two different SIM voltages (3v & 5v)... if this is damaged it can cause all sorts of problems...

bad news for you is that i have NEVER been able to bring one back to life by just reflowing it... it needs to be replaced!! or.....

you can remove it and short out the pads on the board but this is MEGA precise... i only recommend this mod to people who have extensive soldering experience!!!!

i hope this helps

G
    Searching is the act of trying to find something or someone...

One may search for something that is known to exist, with the intent to locate it...

If You Post IMEI's or Code Request then READ THIS!!

Right on cue as well!!

I see why you need the soldering experience I think this 6230 is destined for resale as faulty or parts. It does work fine once the sim is in though.

The 6230 seems to be a very fragile phone from Nokias range, I wonder how much they lost on warranty repairs on it?

Thanks for your help again Electro. If I can ever be of assistance just ask.

Adam

6230i with same problem, except won't accept any sims!

I have a Nokia 6230i which has more or less the same problem, but won't accept any sims at all.

There seems to be some signs of water damage around the battery and that general area, but not the small shiney chip or the sim reader.

Is there any hope for this phone or is it only good for spares?

like i say... in my experience, when you get this fault from a 6230 OR a 6230i its pretty screwed... although thats not to say you shouldnt try a reflow and a good cleaning with some alcohol and a stiff brush... you should always try even though it seems like a lost cause!!

and even after that there is always the solution i spoke of before! but only if you have the correct equipment and skills!!!!

G
    Searching is the act of trying to find something or someone...

One may search for something that is known to exist, with the intent to locate it...

If You Post IMEI's or Code Request then READ THIS!!

Thread Information